Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Splenda Chocolate Cupcakes

Hi guys!! Couple weeks ago I tried to bake some cupcakes for a dear friend of mine that have pregnancy diabetes. So I decided to use granulated Splenda insted of the regular sugar. The result was okay. The actual cupcake turn out good (I guess I prefer with the Sugah... hahahaha) but I also tried to substitute the sugar for the Splenda on the Swiss Merengue Buttercream. And that I didn't like it. I mean the consistency was fine but when I added some food coloring to it I don't know what happened but the frosting became kinda bitter... But I'll continue trying to bake the perfect sugar-free cupcake and frosting! Here's the tutorial.

The Swiss Merengue Buttercream I got on the blog: How to Eat a Cupcake: http://www.howtoeatacupcake.net/2008/02/face-your-smbc-fears.html and I jut substitute the sugar for the Splenda...

Splenda Chocolate Cupcakes (adapted from Rose's Heavenly Cakes)
Ingredients
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon (sifted before measuring) unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup boiling water
2 large eggs at room temperature
3 tablespoons water
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 2/3 cup cake flour or bleached all purpose flour, sifted into the cup and leveled off
1 cup Splenda granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter

1. Preheat oven 20 minutes before baking to 350F
2. Mix the cocoa and the boiling water: in a small bowl, whisk the cocoa and the boiling water until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap to prevent evaporation and cool to room temperature or you can place in the refrigerator to speed the cooling process. Just bring to room temperature before proceeding.
3. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, the 3 tablespoons water and the vanilla, just until combined.
4. In a stand mixer with the flat beater, add:
 - the flour, 
- Splenda, 
- baking powder, 


-baking soda 



-and salt 

then mix on low speed for 30 seconds. 
5. Add the butter and chocolate mixture and mix on low speed until the dry ingredients are moistened. Raise the speed to medium and beat for 1 1/2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
6. Starting on medium-low gradually add the egg mixture in 2 parts. Beating on medium speed after each addition.
7. Pour the batter into the baking cups and bake for 20-25 minutes. 
Hint: I like to measure the amount of batter to put exactly the same amount in every the baking cups.

Another thing that I noticed is that they broke on the top but the frosting covered it....
I hope you enjoyed!!

Happy Baking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment