Sunday, August 22, 2010

Rose Flower Cake


I always read about recipes that people uses lavender essence or rose water and because I'm super curious I decided to try to bake one cake like that. I made a Sponge Cake or Génoise (that I adapted from Rose's Heavenly Cakes from Rose Beranbaum) but instead of adding vanilla I added the rose water (suitable for cooking). Because I adapted the recipe skip some steps but the result was delicious!! I also tried another recipe for buttercream, Swiss Merengue Buttercream which I thought  was better than the Italian one! : D 
I'll post the recipes here for you. Here we go: 

Génoise (Sponge Cake - adapted from the book: Rose's Heavenly Cakes from Rose Beranbaum ) 

Ingredients: 

- 1/4 cup unsalted butter 
- 1 teaspoon vanilla / rose water .... (Well, here you can use your creativity as well) 
- 5 large eggs 
- 1 / 2 cup plus 1 tablespoon of flour 
- 1 / 2 cup cornstarch 

Preparation: 

- Preheat the oven to 350F/175C for 20 minutes or more before baking the cake. 
- Prepare the butter: In a bowl suitable for microwave or even in a small saucepan, heat the butter until it gets warm, almost hot. Place the essence of your choice, stir, and cover to keep warm.. 
- Beat the eggs with the sugar in the mixer with the wire whisk until they are mixed. Place this bowl over a pan of simmering water and heat until mixture is warm to the touch. Stir constantly.After this step beat the mixture at high speed for at least 5 minutes (in the hand mixer you must beat at least 10 minutes). The mixture will quadruple it size and will be very dense and fluffy. 
- Mix the flour and cornstarch  in a separate bowl.
- Remove about 1 cup of the beaten eggs and mix well with melted butter mix. 
- Place half the flour mixture in the egg mixture left in a large bowl and mix by hand with a spatula or spoon to have no trace of flour.Repeat the same with the rest of the flour. 
- Place the butter mixture in bowl and mix until well incorporated. 
- Place on baking pan and bake for 20-30 minutes or until cake is golden. 
- Let cool in pan, then unmold to cool completely. 

And now.. just decorate and use your creativity! 

For the recipe of Swiss Meringue go to: SMBC - from the website How to Eat a Cupcake http://www.howtoeatacupcake.net/2008/02/face-your-smbc-fears.html (this site is GREAT!!!!)

That's it folks! I decorated using fondant and I filled with strawberry jam and Swiss meringue. 
My husband did not let me take a picture with natural light, he was dying to eat cake ... :D 
Then I had to sliced last night .... 

1 minute later .... :D 
Where's the cake today??? :D
Happy Baking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment