|Red Velvet Cupcakes that I made in The Cupcake BootCamp @ The Chopping Block|
The Red Velvet Cupcake get everybody's attention just because of its color red and its velvety texture. The history of Red Velvet Cake, which was later transformed into cupcake, is marked by myths and legends. A red velvet cake was a signature dessert at the Waldorf-Astoria in New York City during the 1920s. According to a common legend a woman once asked for the recipe for the cake, and was billed a large amount. Indignant, she spread the recipe but the hotel denies this story ....
Red Velvet Cupcakes (The Chopping Block)
Yields: 12 cupcakes
1/2 teaspoon vinegar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 stick butter, softened
3 4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
Red Food Coloring (dosing the amount you want)
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 1/4 cup cake flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
How to make
1. Preheat the oven to 350F and prepare cupcake liners in a muffin pan.
2. Mix the vinegar and baking soda and set aside.
3. Beat butter and sugar until the cream is light and fluffy, that's about 5 minutes.
4. Add egg and beat until well incorporated.
5. Make a paste with cocoa powder and food coloring and add to cream butter and sugar (here I did different, I did not make this paste, I put the food coloring directly to the batter until the I see the color I wanted).
6. Add the flour and buttermilk to cream butter and sugar in 3 additions always start and finish with the solid. Add salt.
7. Add the vinegar mixture and the vanilla.
8. Fill cupcake tins until 2/3 of its capacity.
9. Bake for 20-25 minutes and let cool to be able to unmold and cool completely wait to decorate.
Cream cheese Frosting
Yields: 3 cups
1 cup (8oz) cream cheese at room temperature
1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar (1 lbs)
How to make
1. Beat the cream cheese, vanilla and butter in a large bowl of electric mixer
2. Add the powdered sugar and beat until fluffy.
3. Decorate your cupcakes!
That's it folks!