Sunday, September 5, 2010

Trying new recipes

Hi guys! Sorry for my absence! My son is suffering with his teething and they are coming all at once... so the motherhood needs to come first! But I managed to take some time and grab him with me to have a fun time in the kitchen so I could try 2 new recipes: Chocolate Chiffon Cake and Chocolate Ganache. Both were very good, but together I thought it was a disaster! hahahahahaha ... the cake and the ganache has a super strong chocolate flavor, is wonderful, is not sweet. And I made the ganache that they taught us in Le Cordon Bleu with 70% cocoa chocolate. Actually I think that for a connoisseur of "chocolat" those recipes were very good but for those who like a sweet chocolate treat (like me) weren't ... I will repeat the recipe, but I will make the ganache with milk chocolate.
The mini cake won my pool this week so I baked in mini cake pans but I did not decorated or make it fancy... just plain chocolate cake with some sprinkles on top...




















Chocolate Chiffon Cake (Le Cordon Bleu)

Dry Ingredients
2/3 cup of flour plus 1 1/4 cocoa
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking powder

Liquid Ingredients
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup of egg yolk (about 4 Jumbo eggs)
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Merengue Ingredients
2/3 cup egg whites (which gives the whites of 4 eggs ...)
1/3 cup sugar
A pinch of cream of tartar

How to make it
In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients

Using a separate bowl combine liquid ingredients and then add to the dry ingredients.

Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until frothy and then add the sugar to finish the meringue.

Place the meringue slowly into the mixture of liquid and dry ingredients, mixing very gently with a spatula. Mix until all the ingredients are combined.

Place in two 8”cake pans to bake on the preheated oven (350F) for about 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cake cool in pan for 15 minutes and then continue cooling on cooling rack or parchment paper.

Ganache Chocolate (Le Cordon Bleu)
8 oz dark chocolate
1 cup (8 oz) heavy cream

Heat the cream (do not boil) and then add the chocolate to melt in hot cream.

That's it for now!

Happy Baking!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment